My Galaxy Far, Far Away

Note: I really liked drawing Star Wars stuff

Star Wars was the first story that made me realize the potential for vast, seemingly endless universes in storytelling. In fifth grade, I am not ashamed to say, I would spend my free time that wasn’t drawing stuff from Star Wars reading about it instead. Everyday I would load up starwars.com and go to their “Expanded Universe Encyclopedia” and start with the recommended page of the day. I would learn everything there is to know about that person or creature or place and then I would click on the related articles and hyperlinked associated profiles. This would go on until I got tired or it was time to read my Star Wars comic books or to create my own characters or design my own technologies. My favorite thing to do after drawing a new character was to design a lightsaber hilt made specially for that character with a list of reasons why this character needed or wanted their hilt designed that way


I would not be the same designer I am today without Star Wars for a multitude of reasons, but a major one is that it taught me that the most compelling designs purposeful and thorough down to the last button on the Millennium Falcon’s control board. Even if the average viewer doesn’t the button's purpose, they’ll feel it has one if the artist believes it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment