My Long, Long Ago



No four-eyed nerd’s movie collection is complete without Star Wars, and it certainly wasn’t missing from mine. Few movies can compete with Star Wars and the sense of wonder it instills on its viewers. For me what was most important in establishing this wonder was the concept that anyone can be a Jedi if they were focused and determined and, similarly to Spider-Man, the message that anyone can be a hero.
Luke Skywalker, a boy in a galaxy far far away was made relatable, even on this planet. The loss of loved ones, the uncertainty of the future and of our own potential, these struggles and strife can provoke empathy even when presented by a boy wielding a laser sword and moving objects with his mind.


Star Wars is the story that inspired me to make my own stories because it taught me that even the most unlikely heroes in the most confounded and inconceivable of circumstances I could ever dream of could be made compelling and relatable as long as I reflect myself in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment